Forums » Public Health (General)

How much does Medicare pay for eyelid surgery?

• 44 posts
    July 18, 2023 10:56 AM EDT

I am an eligible candidate for Medicare, and my doctor recommends I go for eyelid surgery. Will Medicare bear the expense of this treatment?

• 34 posts
    July 18, 2023 12:01 PM EDT

Medicare will only pay for eyelid surgery if deemed medically necessary. This means that the surgery must be performed to correct a medical condition that interferes with your vision or daily activities. If the surgery is purely cosmetic, Medicare will not pay for it.

The amount that Medicare will pay for eyelid surgery depends on the type of surgery and the location where it is performed. For example, the Medicare-approved amount for blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) performed in an outpatient surgery center is $652. Medicare will pay 80% of this amount, or $521. The patient is responsible for the remaining 20%, or $131.

In addition to the Medicare-approved amount, there may be other costs associated with eyelid surgery, such as anesthesia, operating room fees, and surgeon's fees. These costs will vary depending on the surgeon and the location of the surgery.